The Process of buying your new home

What to do How to do it Who to Contact
Work out how much you can afford to borrow.

Go to your mortgage broker or bank who will establish with you how much you can borrow. This is a good time to start thinking about what sort of mortgage you want. There are capped, variable, 20-year, 25-year and so on.

Mortgage broker, Your Bank or Building Society.
Find the property of your choice.

Check out as many available properties as you can. Contact or visit local agents and explain exactly what type of property you are looking for. Have more information sent to you for properties which take your interest.

Estate Agents and in some cases solicitors.
Make the seller or seller's agent an offer.

If you have looked at enough properties then you will know if the property is realistically priced. It is not advisable to  go straight in with your highest offer, always leave yourself with some room to manouvre.

Estate Agents and in some cases solicitors.
Apply to your lender for a mortgage.

Go back to your broker, building society or bank with whom you had already discussed the issue of how much you could borrow for property purchase.

Mortgage broker, Your Bank or Building Society.
Choose a solicitor to act on your behalf.

Solicitors resident in the Argyll area can be found here at Also, check out the phone book for 'Lomond & Argyll' and local papers such as 'The Oban Times', the 'Argyllshire Avertiser' and the 'Dunoon Observer'

Solicitor / conveyancer.
Arrange to have the property valued / surveyed. You mortgage lender will instruct a surveyor to survey the property. This is for the lenders information. If you want an independent full survey or report then you will need to contact your own surveyor. Surveyor.
Property search and check of Title Deeds.

This is normally carried out by your conveyancer / solicitor. If you plan to do your own conveyancing then, for properties in Scotland only, is well worth a visit.

Solicitor / conveyancer.
Exchange Contracts. From this point on it is in the hands of the person doing the conveyancing or your mortgage lender. Solicitor.
Funds can now be released. Time for you now to sit back and relax -
until the next time :-)
Mortgage broker / Solicitor.
 argyll FyneWeb-Design